The name "Stone Horse Green" honors the history of Middleton's first livery stable which was located on this site. The site will also have heated stone horse sculptures that provide seating and play areas for children.
The Burmeister and Williams Livery dates back to 1876, before Middleton became incorporated as a city and even before the first free school in Middleton. The green space is currently a Middleton Landmark.
The livery's close proximity to the train depot and central location in the city center show its significance in the daily lives of hundreds of early Middleton residents.